Prof D. Figarella-Branger who is at the head of the Pathology and Neuropathology Department in La Timone Hospital is an international expert in CNS tumors as highlighted by the following responsibilities:
- Member of the WHO board for central nervous tumors and senior advisor for the update of the WHO Classification of Tumours of the Central Nervous System published in May 2016 (IARC, Lyon 2016) and of the international CIMPACT-NOW consortium
- Member of the European SIOP-LGG preclinical working group, of the EORTC Brain Tumor Pathology group
- National Co-Coordinator of Clinical Neuro-Oncology Networks (POLA and TUCERA), National Co-ordinator of the CNS Tumor Regression Network (RENOP) affiliated to these networks and Associate Coordinator for the national project dedicated to the glioblastoma biobank (BCB glioblastoma)
- Member of the ANOCEF advisory board (since 2003), of the ANOCEF Glioblastoma preclinical working group (since 2016) and of the board of directors of the SFCE (since 2015), and past president of the French Society of Neuropathology (2014-16)
- Coordinator of the Glioma program of the SIRIC Marseille (2012-2017).
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) of the German Cancer Consortium (DKTK)
The la Timone Pathology and Neuropathology department can offer Up to date immunohistochemical techniques and possesses a dedicated Molecular biology platform (in situ hybridization, droplet digital PCR to detect main molecular alterations in diffuse gliomas, circumscribed gliomas and glioneuronal tumors and embryonal tumors)